This is Spinning Music’s third annual list of the top 25 Spinning tunes of the year. I have to admit, I struggled a bit to find 25 worthy songs this year. I usually try not to include multiple songs from the same artist, but this year I have multiples from Katy Perry, B.o.B., and Taio Cruz. David Guetta makes a couple of appearances as well. There are a disproportionate number of songs suitable for climbing, but unlike last year, many will do double-duty for jumps. We’re shorter on good sprinting tunes this year, with only five making the cut.
As in previous years, to be eligible for consideration, the song had to be released in 2010. I used Wikipedia to confirm release dates.
Without further ado, here they are:
1. Dynamite – Taio Cruz (hands down, one of the catchiest songs of the year for a climb)
2. Naturally – Selena Gomez and the Scene (a chorus that just makes you want to sprint)
3. Magic (feat. Rivers Cuomo) – B.o.B. (a cheeky song for jumps, and challenging too)
4. Raise Your Glass – P!nk (hurray for sprints)
5. Memories (feat. Kid Cudi) – David Guetta (a relentless beat to propel a climb; also works for jumps)
6. Witchcraft – Pendulum (a great big juicy sprinting song)
7. Firework – Katy Perry (my favourite Perry song of the year, perfect for sprints at the choruses)
8. Telephone (feat. Beyonce) – Lady GaGa (climbing or jumps)
9. Club Can’t Handle Me (feat. David Guetta) – Flo Rida (climbs)
10. Airplanes (feat. Hayley Williams) – B.o.B. (a haunting melody that sent me scrambling to find out who does this song. Hip hop cool down energy)
11. Teenage Dream – Katy Perry (climb, with a push at each chorus)
12. California Gurls (feat. Snoop Dogg) – Katy Perry (climbing or jumps)
13. We R Who We R – Ke$ha (climb)
14. DJ Got Us Fallin’ in Love (feat. Pitbull) – Usher (great for a climb or jumps)
15. I Like It (feat. Pitbull) – Enrique Iglesias (climb for the verses, sprint at the choruses)
16. Stuttering – Fefe Dobson (ahhh…. cool down time)
17. Whoa is Me – Down with Webster (perfect for a grind of a seated climb)
18. Love the Way You Lie (feat. Rihanna) – Eminem (classic Eminem, another seated climb)
19. Check it Out – will.i.am and Nick Minaj (love the sample from Video Killed the Radio Star; climb or jumps or as a warm up)
20. Stay the Night – James Blunt (as catchy a cool down as you could ask for)
21. Blah Blah Blah (feat. 3OH!3) – Ke$ha (climbing or jumps)
22. Waka Waka (This Time for Africa) – Shakira (cheerful warm up energy)
23. OMG (feat. will.i.am) – Usher (climb)
24. Higher – Taio Cruz and Travie McCoy (climbing or jumps)
25. Dead – Buckcherry (pure hard rock sprinting energy)
What do you think? Did I get it right? Did I forget any of your favourites?
I’m working on a Best of 2010 playlist – look for it in the next few days.
Need more song ideas? Fitness Magazine offers a list of the 100 best workout songs, divided by genre, here. Lots of current stuff!