Here is Spinning Music’s second annual list of the Top 25 Spinning Tunes of the year. Overall, it’s not the bumper year that 2008 was, but there are lots of great songs for every type of drill, including warm ups and cool downs.
You may notice a few obvious choices missing – Hook Me Up and Untouched by the Veronicas, Use Somebody and Sex on Fire by Kings of Leon, So What? by P!nk, Poker Face and Paparazzi by Lady GaGa, I’m Yours by Jason Mraz. All charted in 2009, but they didn’t fit Spinning Music’s criteria – to make the 2009 list, the song had to be released in 2009. These songs all came out in 2008.
The top Spinning tunes of 2009 are:
1. I Gotta Feeling – Black Eyed Peas (A+ for positive energy)
2. Sexy Bitch (feat. Akon) – David Guetta (for a clean version, try Sexy Chick by GG)
3. Right Round (feat. Ke$ha) – Flo Rida
4. Don’t Trust Me – 3OH!3 (terribly offensive lyrics but one of the catchiest tunes of the year)
5. Africa – Karl Wolf (this hip hop version has sweet cool down energy)
6. Fire Burning – Sean Kingston
7. Love Game (Chew Fu Ghettohouse Fix) (feat. Marilyn Manson) – Lady GaGa (okay, this song came out in 2008 but the remix rocks and is a legitimate pick from 2009)
8. Good Girls Go Bad (feat. Leighton Meester) – Cobra Starship
9. Sugar (feat. Wynter) – Flo Rida
10. Love Drunk – Boys Like Girls (one of the better sprinting songs of the year)
11. Tik Tok – Ke$ha
12. Waking Up in Vegas – Katy Perry
13. My Life Would Suck Without You – Kelly Clarkson
14. Jai Ho! (You are my Destiny) (feat. Nicole Scherzinger) – A.R. Rahman and the Pussycat Dolls (the Slumdog Millionaire soundtrack came out in late 2008, but this version of Jai Ho! dates from 2009)
15. Bang Bang (feat. Adam Levine) – K’naan (one of the most challenging jump songs I’ve ever used)
16. Boom Boom Pow – Black Eyed Peas
17. New Divide – Linkin Park
18. Watch Me Move – Fefe Dobson (hard to find outside of the Canadian iTunes store)
19. Down (feat. Lil Wayne) – Jay Sean (more great cool down energy)
20. I Know You Want Me (Calle Ocho) – Pitbull
21. You Found Me – The Fray
22. Live Your Life (feat. Rihanna) – T.I.
23. Bad Romance – Lady GaGa
24. She Wolf – Shakira
25. No You Girls – Franz Ferdinand (one of the few songs on the list that is good for jumps)
What do you think? Did I get it right? Did I miss any of your favourites? What were your top Spinning songs of 2009?
Fitness Magazine just published their own list of the Top 100 Workout Songs of the Year in the January 2010 issue. My favourites from their list include Check My Brain by Alice in Chains, Permanent Heartbreak by the Friday Night Boys, Break Your Little Heart by All Time Low, Anywhere but Here by Mayday Parade, and Solo by Demi Lovato.
Look for a Best of 2009 playlist in a week or two.